Saturday, August 2, 2008

gypsies.

The other day we were walking to the most beautiful and breathtaking park (the third largest natural park in Europe) for games with a portion of the kids coming to camp. It was about fourty-five minutes away, so as we walked Lisa told Cassidy and I about the Gypsies. I had never really thought of them except what I have seen in movies or heard of their deep and beautiful music. But as Lisa explained, the Gypsies came from India and are not looked kindly upon. (for example, In World War II they were targeted along with the jews, homosexuals, and invalid.) They do not have Romanian citizenship and do not really follow the laws of Romania. Lisa told me to talk to our host family to see how they view the Gypsies and about their history. For this reason I will elaborate on how this topic showed us a small bit of the character of the people we are working with. One morning our host family (of Hanna and I) and another host family (of Esther, Mackensy, and Tess) let us wake up early to go to a market for clothing. It is run by Gypsies and quite inexpensive. While we were there we saw the compassion and love that they showed to those that are viewed as the "lowest" in their society. At the end of our time there, instead of a sardonic thank you, they chatted with this one lady and were more kind than most are to even storekeepers in america. I have such great respect for the people of Dan's church youthgroup they are simply amazing and have such great influence in this city.

hope all are doing well!

audra





5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems like you guys must be eating really well. It sounds like your host families are awsome! Hanna, I am so glad you and the girls got to go to the clothing market and experience yet another piece of the culture there. You have seen so many different things in your few days there already. We just got an email from Larry Brady saying that the church family responded immediately with funds for the campers. How cool is that - I hope everyone that has a desire to go will be able to. Have fun helping with church tomorrow! Love, Stephanie Love (Hanna's mom)

Anonymous said...

Audra- WOW!
You got to experience a gypsy market,go on the Danube river! I hope you got pictures, I can't wait to see them. I agree with Hanna's Mom that it sounds like you have great host family's.
Love Dad

Anonymous said...

The trip sounds like its going great- very eye opening! Thanks for all the posts and pictures- it helps us back home! Hi Tess and Esther! I love all of you; you are doing something amazing. Enjoy it, learn from it, be strong, and represent God in all you do. You're in my prayers!
-Elise

Anonymous said...

Malachi's unknown blessing! Here is a blessing that happened here @ home today reaching all the way to you in Romania...today I was buying a used mirror for our friend's van. This was a mirror that was broken when Malachi was driving the van the week you left. Anyway, I was talking to the owner of the salvage yard where I was buying the mirror, telling him about what Malachi & all of you were doing in Romania. He was so touched by what you are all doing that he wouldn't let me pay him the $50.00 for the mirror; instead he told me to give it to the camp fund for Romania! Isn't that great?!?! Mal, breaking the mirror was a blessing in disguise!! God continue to bless you as you minister. Love & Prayers, Malachi's Dad!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are going well. We are praying for you daily. Jordan we hope you are doing well. You make your family proud and we miss you. Your brother is off to Madison Missions next week.

Love,

Dad