Thursday, August 2, 2012

Our first day in Craoiva...


BUNNNNA! Hunter Bashinos and Me-HI-ale-a here. Well, some of us are a little tired because last night we heard rustling downstairs in the house we are staying at. Turns out, Jeremy was eating half of a pizza and making a video blog of himself… Someone had jet lag.

However, it felt good to sleep in this morning and start camp planning on a full tank of energy. We spent a lot of the day talking about the logistics involving the retreat. Needless to say, we found out that a little more planning before the trip would have been nice, but reminded each other that this is a vision trip and an opportunity to trust God while trying out different things  (we’ll certainly now know how to plan for a future retreat like this one).  We powered through the camp schedule, hammered in on some of the workshop activities that we will do with the students, and decided on the menus. It should be an interesting and amazing next four days that God is going to unfold before us. Also, Daniel mentioned to us last night that making relationships with these orphans means diving right in and getting in their mess. Looking back on that, that is exactly what our Father did for us. He sent his Son right into our mess in order to make us beautiful. It may not be always easy this week. In fact, it may be really challenging, but God is calling us to jump into their pain and struggles in order to find healing (and not just for them but for healing for every one of us) and make visible the kingdom of God. 

After planning, we met up with old friends and met some new ones at Parc Romanescu.  I (Michaela) have been nervous for sooo long to embrace our old friends. I’m not sure why, but it was weighing me down today. However, when we saw them, all my anxiety was lifted from my heart! Just to hold their hands and laugh at our communication was very uplifting, and I hold these moments dear to my heart. So we spent a few quality hours catching up, playing games, and rowing boats with the campers. 

What better way to end a fantastic first day in Craiova than shaorma at the city fountains?  Wait, there is none.  We chilled on the sidewalk of Ali-ba-ba for approximately an hour and thirty-seven minutes (Yeah, it took that long – they needed to kill a chicken when they saw our group of 30 show up) while our food was being prepared.  It was SO worth the wait.

So what is next you say? Yes the retreat as we already mentioned. But wait, in 4 hours? Yes, it is 1 a.m. and we have to wake up in 4:07:48 hours.  So Noapte Buna!

Shoutouts

Taylor to fam: Have fun in WY!
Taylor to her grandpa: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Jenna to my 3 bros: Thanks for the little friend! I miss you all and I hope home isn’t too boring without me!
Jenna to Ben: Have a good time in St. Thomas!
Jenna to Jessie and Olan: I’m looking forward to the poem!
Team to 2011 Romania team: We love you all!
Michaela to Catie: Iazman kept talking about the burrito you are bringing him some day. I love you!
Michaela to Cassidy: Thanks for the other friend! Right now Jenna’s friend and ours are holding hands upstairs! I have a pic.
Michaela to fam: I love you! Thanks mom for all the comments!
Hunter and Michaela to the gang (you know who you are): Hope ya’ll are keeping it classy while we are gone! #GoBigOrGoHome #GassidySwag #<
Brianna to mom: HAPPY 29th BIRTHDAY!
Jimmy to chipotle: Hope you are still in business when I get home.
Jimmy to parents: You are the best ever!
Jeremy to mom: LOVE YOU!
Jeremy to dad, little bro: good luck at all city swim meet!
Jeremy to eric: Have fun at Madison Missions AGAIN
Jeremy to Paige: Hope you don’t have strep any more!
Lief to everyone: How’s it goin?

Michaela’s lame joke of the day: “Lief, do you have your vision goggles on??? (long pause)… cause this is a vision trip…”. Proceeds to laugh for legitimately 5 minutes…

15 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post....Jimmy's SO to Chipotle made me Laugh out Loud for real....none of this lol stuff. Anyway looks like you guys are having a good time and God will use u in amazing ways to connect with the orphans. Noapte Buna!

P.S Hunter Bashinos

T^3 (TollyPop) (TheBigMT)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the story about Jeremy. Keep the food away from him if you are on a budget for this trip. We are saving a lot of money over the next few weeks here at home. Jer - Paige is all better. Matt swam in All-City today but didnt' qualify for finals. He is a little cranky but Dad let him buy some lego so he is feeling better. Retail therapy. It is still super hot her in Madtown. And we still don't have air conditioning in the van. Love you!
Ma

Megan Radke said...

I love reading about your trip!! I can't wait to hear more about the retreat, I am so excited and curious to hear what you will be doing! God has great things in store for all of you :) Jimmy's SO cracked me up. As well as Michaela's joke haha

Cassidy said...

Finally a blog post! I have been checking the blog practically on the hour. So this is what its like to be the one left behind crying over the blog.

So great to hear about Craiova. I can imagine being there in the park rowing boats and eating ice cream with you all.

I loved the part you wrote about God involving Himself in our mess to make it beautiful.

The story about Jeremy and Jimmy's shout out to Chipotle were great.

Enjoy every moment of the retreat!

Wish I could be there with you all,

Cassidy

PS: there will be no more "Gassidy" references -- thanks.

Unknown said...

Great post guys! We are all missing you and our Romanian friends as well. Praying for you guys everyday, hoping that you are able to see what God has planned for you and your hearts on this trip. Michaela keep up that magic touch of yours, and that ability you have to connect with so many people on this earth. LOVE YOU ALL. anddd mmmmmm shoarma. my mouth is watering.

Sarah said...

Love seeing a blog post!!!! Sounds like everything is going well! We are so glad!
Taylor...thanks for the shootout! It is beautiful here in Wyoming! We are having a great time and miss you. :)
Lief I am sure you remember my request the first year Zack went to Romania...........one large group hug. So please smother my girl with the same!
Love to all!!
Momma Stevens

Megan said...

That was a really amazing blog post you two! I am really excited for what God has in store for all of you. I cant imagine a better group of people to share God's love with the Romanians. I am praying for you all. Eat some extra Joe for me:) Wish I could be there with all of you!
Te iubesc!

Megan Smiley :)

Donna Johnke said...

Michaela! This is your mother-
Don't forget to get some sleep!!
Otherwise, May God give you all the strength and whit and wisdom to love on these young people and let them know they are like gold.
Love you
MOM
P.S. Bring home a Shoawrma (did I spelll that right?) recipe for me.

Catie Smiley said...

Shaoooorma!!yum...sounds like you guys had an awesome time catching up with everyone!! Keep up the hard work team!! You are all amazingly gifted people and I cannot wait to hear more about how God used your individual gifts to work in the lives of the Romanian people. I love you all. Keep up the hard work!! <3

...that totally sounded like a michaela joke btw...nice. haha

...and if you see Iazmin again tell him that I will get him that burrito someday ;) no worries!

-Csmiles

Roseanne and Mike said...

So glad to get an update on your blog. It was hard to wait for it while you were in transit! Go get messy for God! May He keep you safe and satisfied as you do!

Kristen Emerson said...

This trip has so many amazing people in one place at the same time; I can't handle it! Thanks for the awesome update. Michaela & Hunter, it was great to hear about your perspective as you are heading into the trip.

Sending lots of prayers to the whole team as you build relationships with the Romanians.

Charles Xu said...

Michaela, we are buying matching sweaters when you get back.

Kristen Emerson said...

A few times this weekend I've heard last year's Romania camp song, "Made to Love" and have prayed for you on the spot.

To the newbies on the trip: Isn't it crazy how similar Lief and Daniel are?!

Oh-- and I'm cheering for Romania in the Olympics, especially as they just won the women's vault (gymnastics).

Nora Wilke said...

I love reading this blog! I was sick, but just caught myself up, and MAN YOU GUYS MAKE ME LAUGH! haha. i'm kind of dying right now. Jeremy ate half a pizza in the middle of the night? day made. hahahaa. and Michaela- I am so glad reunion with your friend went well! I remember you talking about how stressed you were, and God took care of it!:) I LOVE YOU ALL :)

Linda Hershberger said...

Praying your retreat has gone well - can't wait to hear the details! Thanks for the great post on the pre-retreat preparations.

We survived the Hartman family reunion without you, Jenna. All say "hi" and Grandma got a diagnosis and is doing much better with new medication - yay!

Ben made it safely to St.Thomas and is enjoying time with Eddy - they skyped me last night, so I know they are doing well - lots of laughter was heard . . .

Hershey got into 3 bags of Ben's candy before he left Friday night. We are still waiting for a few more wrappers to "come through". He must of needed some chocolate to go with the coffee and trail mix he ate last week!

Trey and Dan say "hi" - they both start football this week are very excited. Dad heads to FL again, but will be here the week you return. I'm having lunch with Michaela's mom tomorrow - yay!

Oh, the matching sweater thing - - we had a visit the other night by the "matching sweater boys" (Charles & Matt) - - so funny! More on that when you get home. Missing you all and can't wait to hear how God strengthened relationships and moved you beyond your comfort zones this weekend. Love to all - Ma Hersh