Thursday, July 28, 2011

Food. Good Food. The Food is Good.

Hey folks, Jimmy here. Have you ever been worried about traveling because you think you may not like the food? I have. About 3 days ago I was worried that perhaps the food in Romania wouldn't be as delicious as say... Chipotle. Which is exactly what I ate before embarking on this incredible journey across the world. So, with a good taste in my mouth, I boarded a bus and my palate and I took off to unknown world of flavor. Now, I am no food critic, but I do enjoy eating. And because it is one of my greatest hobbies, my friend Hunter and I are going to take you into the stomach of Romanian eating. We have compiled for you a list of foods that have most pleasured our tongues. Each food is linked to Wikipedia (the most reliable of sources) for more information on each.

1. şniţel
Hunter and I agree that şniţel is a rush of flavor unlike what you may first think when you find out that it is called şniţel, which usually has the word wiener before it. Basically, it is chicken wrapped in God's Grace. So good.

2. Sarmale
At first glance, a sarmale may be mistaken as an eggroll. But you couldn't be further from the truth! The sarmale surpasses the eggroll with its much more delicious outer shell. But the outside is only where it begins. When your teeth sink in, an eruption of deliciousness seeps onto every taste bud. So sit down, and have one... or twelve.

3. Bread
A little known food to most Americans, bread is quite common in Romania. Served with every meal, it is a key part of every Romanian's diet. Just for your FYI, it is loaded with the energy a person will need for the day and is quite versatile. One may layer peanut butter and jam, or perhaps cheese and meat. Some, like the adventurous and classy Brendonovitch (@fanman42 on twitter if you want to follow him) have been known to combine cheese and honey, for a sophisticated, yet subtle flavor of nothing anyone has ever tasted before (for obvious reasons). Feel free to comment if you would like the recipe. This stuff is good.

Well, that is where the list ends for now. Keep checking back for more insights into Romanian cuisine with your good friends Jimmy and Hunter. We eat delicious things so you don't have to!

6 comments:

Charles Xu said...

Sounds good. Glad to hear you guys are doing well and eating well across the pond.

Cara Trier said...

Love, love, love the cuisine descriptions...maybe you guys could have your own show on the food network..you could be the next Paula Deen and Rachael Ray! Looking forward to the next installment!!

Paul Staats said...

You should make up some good nicknames for these foods, like Tom Haverford would:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkvPVGcpthc

TESSSS said...

Hahaha just wait until you try mamaliga...ohhhh you are in for a treat :) miss you guys, have so much fun at camp. I'm thinking of you every step of the way! Post more pictures/videos too. Even though they make me want to cry when I see them, I am loving it! And I agree with April's comment on the other post...a dancing Larry video is a must.

Queen of Couth said...

Jimmy! I'm so glad you're eating! (I totally sound like your mother). I will buy you a Chipotle when you get home. Glad to hear you're doing well.
j

Roseanne and Mike said...

Hunter and Jimmy...wow! What great descriptors of the food! You guys could write for a travel or food magazine! Sounds good enough to try!
I'll eat a little extra for you tomorrow, Hunter, as we celebrate your Grandpa John's 90th birthday together. We'll miss you, but we'll also talk about what you are doing on your missions trip. Love and prayers!