Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Emily and Zack Bloggin' it Up

So after we sat down to write this blog and played around with iTunes for a while, Emily said, "We should get started," but then Zack pointed out the fact that we have three hours. So we put it off for a while. But when we actually did get started, we couldn't even think of a title. In fact, we now only have two hours. Right now the campers are on a hike while us fortunate three (Eric Phillippi included) get to enjoy each other's company and listen to "Use Somebody" by Paramore (in spanish). Now, after YouTubing for a while, we shall actually make progress...

It's about three o'clock on day three of camp. As Elli mentioned, we've had as much rain as we can handle. But today we are enjoying 80 degrees and sun. However, the ferocious river is still high. A perfect day for a hike in the beautiful Romanian forest. So, as the campers are off on their hike, we have the opportunity to update you guys about the past day or so.


Last night, after Elli's post, we enjoyed some group games such as Snake Tag and Energy, then had pizza for dinner (with ketsup instead of tomato sauce... yikes). Daniel spoke last night about Grace again, this time touching on Philip Yancy's "Mathematics of Grace." The concept is that you cannot do anything to make God love you more, and you cannot do anything to make God love you less. It was a pretty good, short message that really helped the campers understand Grace. Small group time followed, and there were a few interesting stories from small groups. Emily's small group started pretty rough, with several girls not wanting to participate. However, as the conversation progressed, they slowly entered the circle and conversations and they really seemed interested. It was very encouraging to see this growth out of these girls.


Today started great. Breakfast was interesting, as usual. The lunches and dinners have been phenominal so far, but the breakfasts are a different story. When you have a meal made up of 3 small squares of ham, a half of a tomato, 2 pieces of smelly, salty cheese, some cucumber, and hot tea, you dont often leave the dining hall very satisfied. Oh well! haha. Each morning so far we have done our camp song, "Get Back Up" by TobyMac.


English Classes follow the camp song time. And, believe it or not, we are English teaching partners! Woah! Our class is very laid back, with 9 people in all. We have an advanced class, which has turned out to be a great thing. So far, we have only played catch phrase to increase their vocabulary, and had a small debate to help them think of arguements in English on the spot.


Looking at the watch now, we still have about an hour and a half to finish this blog... so who knows how long this thing could get!


Anyways, today's activities so far have consisted of soccer, ultimate frisbee, archery, and rockwall climbing with our small groups. This was very fun, and it was great to see the small groups working together and/or cheering other people on during these activities. The groups are actually starting to mesh together and open up, despite the language barrier. Also, our small groups have each created a mascot and a chant to go along with their group. Emily is part of the Briosciele (Muffins in English) and Zack is in the Romerican Punks, a very creative name that has no translation because it's that awesome.


Everyone is healthy now, except Zack has had the "Hots for Pumba" for a few days now, but he is doing okay. Sorry, but it is an inside joke, and we cannot explain the meaning of this term. Emily is also doing great, despite the precautionary hospital visit last week in Craiova. For those of you who don't know, during our night at the park, Emily was experiencing light headedness and, beacuse of the long day, she fainted when we returned to the church. Because of a recent heart condition, the hospital visit was made just to be safe, and everything is ok now.


On a lighter note, worship is going great. We are both on the worship team this year at camp, and the campers really seem to be liking the music so far. We have seen clapping, involvement in songs such as the echoes in "Lean on Me," and some occasional hoots and hollers from Lief.


So, as we reach 3:45ish on Day three, we have spent about an hour and half on this post. Later tonight we will be enjoying a great talk from Eric, some small group time, dinner, and free time hopefully. So, we're ending this blog post halfway through our trip, and we're hoping the second half will go just as well. Now, Emily and Zack will go watch The Chronicles of Narnia with Eric.


SHOUT OUTS


Emily to Mary- Dude, hehehe. That's all I can say.

Emily to Dad- Miss you tonnes.

Emily to Mom- I loved your card! The petals were super pretty.

Emily to Jan- I love you so much! I was so surprised to get your note. It made my day :)


Zack to the Fam- The dells should be about over by now i think... my days are getting mixed up. hope everything went awesome!

Zack to the Frydenlund 4-- Hope you guys had a great time at the dells too!! I wish i coulda been there to see you guys, but maybe next time

Zack to Grandma and Grandpa--Thanks for the notes! I have read them already

Zack to Nana- I cant wait to see you and tell you how everything went!

Zack to John-Hope the hike was fun man! We should go on hikes up Bascom this next semester daily since i missed today's hike haha, and maybe iChat while we're hiking?! haha

Zack to Emily-Hey, youre sitting right here, but just saying that this was a fun post to write with you, and i like the blue shirt and the yellow shorts youre sporting right now haha!


Emily to Zack- yeah this was definately fun. I'm liking your purple shorts right now, even though this is like the fifth day you've worn them. No wonder you smell funny.


Zack to Emily- Wow. Sorin washed them okay? And i brought two pairs of purple shorts. and for everyone reading this right now, i do not smell funny. the end. but thanks emily for commenting on my nice matching yellow shirt and red bandana along with the purple shorts.


Emily to Zack- no problem. but, i'm not sure i would trust sorin's washing skills. you should wear your white shorts. they're perfectly clean. and, btw, for everyone reading, zack has this obession where he tucks his shirt in and pulls his shorts up as far as he can get them. it's so attractive.


Eric to Zack and Emily- Guys! I'm sitting right here! I have been here for the past two hours! What the what? I wish you could just acknowledge me... maybe just a 'hello!'...or I would even accept a generic shoutout like, "Zack and Emily S.O. to Eric". That's it. That's all I am asking for! Is that too much to ask for?!?!


Zack to Emily-Sorin is a great washer. and btw, im going to quote john here... "Zack, i think youre the only person i know who can pull off that look" But yes, my white shorts are still clean. i dont want to get them dirty at camp. besides, i might need them for the next busride? duh.


Emily to Zack- well.... john is always right, but may i point out that i never said you couldn't pull off that look. actually i like the yellow and purple. it sort of matches my yellow and navy. and you probably won't need the white shorts because i've learned my lesson.


Zack to Emily- Probably wont? lol i will make sure i have them anyways... but our yellows are different... My mom taught me how to match clothes, we dont match. Sorry!


Eric to Zack and Emily-hello?!?!


Zack and Emily to Eric- Hey..?


THE END :)

18 comments:

Leah said...

Shout out to Eric!!!!

Haha! I loved it! Eric...I missed you in that picture the first time around too!

trudy erickson said...

Lief's parents would like to wish him a very Happy Golden Birthday, today when he turns 28 on Juy 28th, 2010! WE miss U & love U & hope U are feeling better soon! Lots of love & prayers to U & U'r team, Mom & Dad xoxoxs

pat sweeney said...

Zack:
You two (oops......three) are very entertaining. Who had more fun.....you writing the post or us reading it? I never knew you were such a clothes horse!
While you're camping, and your family's in the Dells, I'm spending time on Lake Superior in northernmost WI....beautiful territory. Getting some pretty cool photos too!
Look forward to hearing your stories firsthand. Love you and miss you a ton. Nana

Sarah Stevens said...

Oh boy!! Zack & Emily win a prize for the most laughs produced by a blog!!! Thanks for making is all laugh!

But enough about you two....Eric you are awesome!!! How could those two ignore you for so long? Zack's dad, the sound guy, says that it is good to be behind the scenes!!

Lief... Happy birthday!!!!!! As I said on facebook, I hope you have a very messy hair day!!!! :)

Z- dad loves and misses you.... Tante misses your face.... Uncle dean says the point of no return missed you.... G'ma and G'pa say thank you for the lax poster..... Taylor says she can't believe you are wearing the same shorts everyday.... Hunter went on the point of no return 2 times and says you are a chicken!!!

Ok..... We are done except to say that we love ya zack and are praying for you and the rest of the team!! Keep doing BIG things for God!!!!

MarenWeil said...

Breakfast with salty cheese was always my favorite in Romania :) hahah!
"Romerican Punks" is a pretty creative team name, but "Tone Deafs" is better i'd say.
I hope you guys are having a fabulous time; I wish I were there with you! :) say hi to everyone for me.
Oh! and give Zack a group hug and make sure to take a picture and have someone's face awkwardly in between arm holes... seriously, that awkward face last year was me...

Love you & praying for you!!

-Maren

Smileydad said...

Megan

We really miss your catbox and recycling bin skills. Seriously. Hope you are doing well. We are praying for all of you. It seems like you have been gone way longer than a few weeks. I guess this is good parent preperation for college. Still no car for Catie. We looked at some real basket cases though. I am fixing the noise in your brakes so you quit scaring young children and the dogs quit howling when you drive by. Well I guess that is about it unless you want to play 20 questions and no it is not Heather.
Love Dad

Alyssa L said...

Amyyyy
Take notes on the grace stuff. I like it a lot.
Anywaysss. I feel like adding extra letters to words todayyyyy.
Anyways, I really do have a lot to tell you I feel like. It's been a crazy week! Not as crazy as yours, but crazy in and Iowa sort of way :P
I love you!
-lyss

Alyssa L said...

ps. Emily and Zack: I don't know you, but this blog was verrrry entertaining. :) Thanks.

-Alyssa (Amy's friend)

Thomas Ramsey said...

no comment Zack and Emily...& Fro!

Anonymous said...

Hunter, Grandma and Grandpa told me to tell you they love you. I got the whole family praying for your health. Sounds like you are doing better. I know Aunt Roseanne is checking the blog. Bob H. asked about you on Sunday. 1/2 over! Hard to believe. I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. I miss you, but I am doing fine (no worries). Love you, mom

John Mauer said...

Hi Kevin,

Hope you are having fun and feeling fine. Give us a shout to let us know what's up!

Love, Dad & Mom

Tante Kelly said...

Shout out to Zack! We miss you and hope you are having a great time. We leave tomorrow for Green Bay so the guys can run in a 5K at Lambeau! Can't wait to hear about your trip!
xoxo
Tante Kelly

Cara Trier said...

Hey Cassidy & Hailey, (Thing 1 and Thing 2)

We just got back from Jackson Hole, it was incredibly beautiful and we hiked until our legs were screaming, but we couldn't get any comments off to you (I am sure it was the computer set up and not my lack of computer skills)Anyhow, we hope you have not felt neglected or abandoned cause we are missing you both like crazy!!!!!!!!!!

Love, Mom and Dad

Tante Kelly said...

YO ZACK! Gotta tell ya cuz' I know you are dying to know~ TAYLOR WON THE EUCHRE TOURNAMENT!!! HA! So you better be impressed! AND G'ma Pat came in 2nd!
Love ya bud~
T.K.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff guys....keep it coming!
Kati...we are all missing you at the beach and wishing you were here(Emily especially). Praying you are well and can't wait until you are back home! Have fun, we love you!! Mom and Dad

unclerob said...

Emily,
I understand you are having a successful trip and now on the way to my old stomping groung Budapest.
You had better be drinking water and peeing alot!
If you want to continue our familiy tradition of making people shake their heads in wonder, do what I did and water ski the Danube. But DON'T FALL DOWN in that sewer. I believe Homoki Laszlo was my contact then and my still be roaming the streets. Try him at 326-770 or 329-560, remind him I dropped that ski on purpose.
Since I have Jacks corvette today, I should go now and braek some dodge county speed records. You may have to visit me at the slammer in Juneau when you get back.
Travel safe and can't wait to see you soon...Uncle Rob

unclerob said...

Hey Em,
I can't believe it's starting to rain again, so much for the speed records.
With all the rain we have been getting I'm nervous that I may soon hear a voice mentioning something about 40 days and 40 nights , an Ark and Cubits. Whats a cubit? I should be able to build most of it with the scrap left over from Beth and Jacks deck project. I suppose the DNR will require PFDs for everyone.
Sorry for the spelling in the last blog, but I'm an engineer not an english major...unclerob

Unknown said...

Hey Em,

I hear you got a little dehydrated. I hope you've recovered. From your blog it sounds like you are having a great time. I can't wait to hear all about your trip and to see your photo's. I hope you can make our party on Saturday, and not too jet lagged. Will you be able to use the skills you've learned to help uncle Rob build his ark? He's right about having plenty of wood to build it. Jack (as usual) over estimated on how much wood he needed for the deck, so we have enough left over to at least start Rob's ark. Stay safe and have fun. Love Aunt B