Saturday, July 25, 2009

WE GOT INTERNET (last day of camp!)

NOTE FROM LIEF: Well - we finally found a way to post some notes up here. We hope it's not too late and we've lost you all from following us! Not only was it almost impossible to find a way to get online, and still is the slowest internet I've ever used (we are REALLY in the middle of nowhere - perfect for camp, tough for communication and transportation), we also have seriously been so BUSY, it's been hard to keep up on our promise to write on our microsoft word blog every day too). In a few words - camp has been amazing. The students have been willing, patient, and available servants. They have taken challenges (which have actually been many) in stride and made many sacrifices for the sake of the camp and our mission here. I am proud of and to be part of this group - and I look forward to the opportunity to digest and work through our experience here this next week before returning home on Friday. As for today - we are in the midst of our last full day at camp. This morning we finished our last English classes (they have been 2 hours each morning - our 18 students have been the primary teachers and have done INCREDIBLY WELL. For many, English classes are a highlight of the day). Now after lunch, we have free time and all kinds of tie-dying - I am now looking at 70-80 Romanians getting crazy and excited with dyes and loving their creations. Tonight, we will have our final program. We start out really fun crowbreakers and games, camp songs with motions (they ALL love doing motions to music), worship (in Romaneste & Englaza and led by Daniel, Zack, Brooke!, Malachi, and Luke), the Story of God (our final part tonight - the death and resurrection of Christ), Nate will then share his testimony and how John 14 has changed his life (pray for him - I know he will be bold and persuasive), and 8 American and Romanians will come together for a drama pantomime showing God's victory over sin (Brenda, Lauren, Malachi, Maren, Brianna, Charlie, Stefi, and Tony - we're working on this now, 6 feet away from me - please pray that our short prep time still produces a very moving and impactful experience for tonight. We have our last small groups - very important, then the bonfire and a night with no curfew - I know we are pretty crazy. The sleep deprived take a night without sleep. Eh, it's so worth it. I wish I could write more - but I'm going to help with the drama. We miss you all, but please know that God is doing some pretty incredible things in and through this group (both the Americans and Romanians we have learned so much from). This time has been such an awesome blessing - God's goodness and glory is so evident to our team. My prayer is that our team clings to Him as we attempt to finish camp strong. We've got some days of rest, recovery, contemplation, and sharing ahead. For today and tomorrow - we'll take JR's advice - Carpe Diem.

Now - a couple blogs that were actually written. With love and gratitude - Lief

Written by Lauren on Wednesday - the second day of camp-
Hey all! It’s Lauren here. Just for the quick update, we’ve all arrived safely at camp and are really excited to see what will happen this week. I can’t remember if someone already blogged about this, but two days ago we went to the gypsy market. It was really sweet but we had to be careful not to speak English or act interested in anything we wanted to buy because the sellers would’ve raised the prices by a lot and tricked us. By the way, we’re at breakfast right now and everyone would like to give a shoutout to Lizzy-we’re eating hot dogs for breakfast..where’s the honey? Hahaha Also- Abby, as usual, we have delicious bread. Speaking of eating, that night we went to a Romanian restaurant and without even realizing it Dani ate pig brain! It was a nice little surprise when she found out the next day. Tuesday night we took an overnight bus ride to Craiova in a big bus and three small ones. Some people got lots of sleep (Lief- with the help of a big fat sleeping pill), but some of us weren’t as lucky. Cassidy and I ended up being the only Americans on our bus and since we had the big bus, once we reached the beginning of the rough mountain road, our bus driver refused to drive us up. We waited at a little general store type thing for about 5 hours because one of the buses was going to come back and pick us up, but after the one of the three broke down and the other two had a very bumpy ride to say the least, the busdrivers weren’t in the mood to take the trip again. You’ll never guess what all of us did- and it was about 50 of us by the way. Daniel called someone to pick us up, and a big green dump truck pulled up! After lifting all of our luggage into the truck we all climbed in and took a narrow and bumpy path up the mountain for about 2 hours. Every time there were branches that could hit us in the face, Danutz (one of the campers) blew a whistle and we ducked. When we pulled up to camp (2 hours later!) in the dump truck everyone ran to see us, cheering and clapping, and they helped us unpack our bags. Sorry mom, the suitcase got a little sandy. Anyways, everyone played games and hung out until dinner. One game some of the Romanians played was a game basically like volleyball except there are two teams of three on either side of a volleyball net and you can pretty much only hit the ball with your head. It was fun to watch . Last night our session went great and we broke up into small groups and had some deep and meaningful talks. I think most of us wanted to go to bed afterwards and I’m not sure about anyone else but I PASSED OUT in like 5 minutes.
Anyways, right now it’s a beautiful morning and I should stop writing but thanks for reading and we miss you all at home.
As for shoutouts…
Morgan- I bought you and Abby a little something at the gypsy market and I’m excited to give it to you! Love and miss you! Tell Scott I say hi, and don’t let Mason play too much Nazi Zombies.
Amy, Aubrey, Megan, and Mollie from Cassidy – I miss and love you all. I can’t wait to see you all when we get back. Te iubesc!
Larry and Pat to Audra and April- Be sure to clean up after your parties.

Bye for now!



Written by Matt on Friday the fourth day of camp-

Hello from Romania!!

Its Matt here just wanted to get my blog post in. I am writing from the camp. Its free time and dinner is very soon. The food has been pretty interesting. I don’t think I have eaten this much bread in 1 week in my life (though some people really like it!). Camp has been really great. Teaching English has been really enjoyable. Yesterday we played water games during game time. Everyone had a great time getting wet and muddy playing “Steal the Bacon”. It’s Friday so we only have 1 more day at camp. The campers leave Sunday morning and we are going to have a day retreat with Daniel and his team on Sunday. We will leave from here on Monday at around 1 pm (5 am Madison Time) and are hoping to get to Budapest early Monday evening. I am really looking forward to the rest of the trip. I have had an amazing time so far but it will nice to finally be home and get some non-bread related food . I hope everything is well on the home front and the Cubs are losing, and the brew crew hopefully are in first place.

Shoutouts-


Pankratz Family - I miss you. I’ve loved getting all your packages and notes. Not everyone is as lucky as me…:). Have fun at the reunion!

Brooke’s Family - Don’t worry I’m still alive!! Haha. I love you all and miss you. I can’t wait to give you all big hugs! =) You won’t believe it, but I sang in front of EVERYONE last night. It was scary but amazing afterwards. See you all soon, Love, Brooke

Stevens Clan - Hey! I feel like its been forever since I have seen any of you! I’m having such a great time, and I am excited for the rest of it. See you the 31st! Worship is going good, aand we are building some pretty great relationships… Love, Zack oh, and P.S. I hope the Sweeney Family reunion is going/ or was good. I’m starting to lose track of the days :] Sorry! Oh and one more thing. Mom or Dad. Can you call into work and tell them the dates we are going to be in the dells right after I get back? I don’t want to have to switch if Derek schedules me for the day after I get back. Thanks :]

Tolly Family – Hope everything is well. I am safe so don’t worry. I’ll take plenty of pictures on debrief.

Maus and Morgan/Abby - Time is going so fast here and I’m gonna be really sad when this is over. I’ll be happy to see all of you though! Morgan and Abby you would probably enjoy the meals here.. lots of bread and strange cheese…

Niemeyers - Hey everybody just wanted to let you know that I’m having a great time on this trip. The food is definitely a low according to me, but other than that I’m feeling good and I’m doing fine. I hope you weren’t serious when you said my drivers test was postponed, cause that would just be depressing. Anyways, I’ll see you guys in a week or so. Hope you guys are doing good.

Liefy to Emi – 20 of 26 – almost there! Miss you beautiful.

47 comments:

Aunt Liz said...

Malachi--

I have been praying for you to have an amazing trip. I can't wait to hear about all the funny and crazy things you did when we come down to WI in August. How's worship leading going?

Sounds like some of you had an interesting time getting up the mountain--I'll be praying for the trip back down both for the campers and for you all.

Enjoy the rest of your trip. Take the time and energy to enjoy each city you visit. Wish I could be there with you.

Lots of love,
Aunt Liz

Malachi's dad said...

What a great update. Sounds as you are all finding new adventures, in Christ and in life in general. Thank you for the encouraging news. Miss you all and praying for you.
Love, Malachi's Dad

anonynonie-n-chubby said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cara Trier said...

Cassidy&Hailey, (thing 1 and thing 2)

I am laughing and crying all at the same time reading these blogs. That picture of the dump truck is just too much!!!!!!!!!! Finish well. We love you.

Mom and Dad

anonynonie-n-chubby said...

WOW< LAUREN You really can't make this stuff up... That's great. I was cracking up the whole time....

Anne- Looking forward to seeing you soon and hope you had an awesome last day of camp!!!

Jo said...

Hey Team! So good to hear from you again! Sounds like you had quite a week! Love the dump truck picture! That must have been quite a long trip standing & bouncing around! Sounds like God used you all in a mighty way and stretched you a bit and that means growth for all of you. We've been praying for this very thing and it's so awesome to see our prayers answered even before you get home to us! We love you all and pray for a relaxing & restful week ahead for you. Love and prayers, Malachi's Mom

Jo said...

Hi Malachi! Miss you!! It is so awesome to hear that you're leading worship and doing drama. Thank you for using your talents and gifts in ministry!!
I'm so proud of you and your love for others; keep it up...God will use you in a mighty way!! Sounds like you'll have lots to tell us when you get home. Looking forward to hearing it all!! You haven't missed much here. Not much going on...same old routine, work eat & sleep! Have a good week with the team. Hopefulling you'll be able to get some sleep! Love you buddy!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Charlie-

Of course I was kidding about the drivers' test. :) You'll be the best driver this side of Buckeye.

I'm missing you a lot... can't imagine how I'm going to deal with being apart from you in 5 short weeks! The Great Room Switch of 2009 is underway- just be glad you aren't here- it looks like our house got robbed or something! Haha.

It's great to read all you've been doing. I can't wait to hear all about it from you! I'm praying for you; you're always on my mind! Enjoy the last day and the debriefing ahead! I love you!

-Elise

kell said...

Dani
Hope you have been in some of those amazing stories I read. You have been in my thoughts and prayers every day. Soak it all in with the days you have left there. Take lots of pictures please. Miss and love you tons.

ps. that story about the dump truck was awesome! Were you in that too? Oh, and Pig Brains?? I think you have to tell grampa about that one. You win the family gross ness now...ha
Miss you tons..much love..ma

Anonymous said...

Hello Matt, what is this thing about the Cubs losing and the Brewers winning. Are you sick?

Cubs are in 2nd place behind the Cardinals. Won't be long and we will be going to Wrigley Field.

Have a great rest of the trip. Love you,

Dad

Stefenel Family said...

Hey Malachi:
We are so proud of you. Sounds like you're having a blast serving the Lord. We're praying for strength, growth and protection for you and your team. Philemon 3-7. Love, the Stefenel Family
P.S. Dan's family is from Transylvania

Hanna said...

Megan:
Someone said "dang" today and I burst out laughing.
:D

Valerie Mau said...

Wow Lauren! What an adventure just getting to the camp!! I'm glad no one got their head whacked by branches! Did you get ME anything at the gypsy market? :( You'd better think fast! Have a great time debriefing and reflecting. Can't wait to see you all when you return. Love and prayers, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hi Lief and the Romania Team:
I am so happy to her U've had a fun and meaningful week at camp. God is so good! I especially like the story & pix of the green dump truck taking some of U up the mountain!
Happy 27th Birthday on July 28th to Lief! Dad & I send love & prayers, Lief's Mom, Trudy xoxox

Smileydad said...

Megan

Sounds like quite an adventure. I am sure bread related foods are right up your alley though. Hope you are well and enjoying the adventure. Mom and Catie are at CNADM and I am painting Catie's room. She picked purple...should be interesting with the leopard spot furniture. Miss you bunches.

Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Tessie,
Dad got home two days ago and we all just got back from the Pankratz Reunion '09! Dad's finally rested and everyone says hi and missed seeing you. The whole family is praying for you. We loved reading about camp--the trip there and all the wonders happening while you're there. We love you and can't wait to see you soon.
Love, Mom, Dad, MG, E, L & L

Not Your Average Jo said...

hellar! So it sounds like each day is a new adventure there i wish i could have came madison is boring and so is coppertop! which by the way was robbed the other day!!! yes yes money stolen and the register was broken into but the funny thing is, is that the keys were in the register but they smashed it to open it insted of hit the open register button! what dumb bums! Any whoo I hope you guys are getting neat sooveniers ( i dont think that is really how that is spelled!) so i can see them! Lief i be your getting really excited to see your wifey! lol missing her alot! Brianna Jess i hope your not too tired when you get back because i wanna go to devils lake some time soon! I bet your tan you guys are arnt you! I bet everyone on the team is losing weight too! I think all the weight you guys lose combined is how much i have gained! I have made fudge today that is how fat i am! lol and i bet you guys are now craving fudge! lol I will make you some when you all get back!! I love yah and miss you tons! have a safe trip back!! glad you are having a blast!

Leigh said...

Who needs amusements park rides when you've got the Romanian Supersized Dump Truck! Love it. I'm sure they everyone had seatbelts--silly me---No Seats! Good to hear from you all. Trip sounds incredible. Can't wait to hear all the personnel stories.

Happy Birthday Lief!

Love,
Natalie's Mom

audra j. brady said...

patricia, lawrence, and anne,

glad to hear camp is going well.
april may or may not have overwatered the ivy.
anne: squeak squeakity squeak squeakum
dad: "It's a dangerous business, frodo, going out of your door," he used to say. "You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." -just kidding, everything's fine here (well besides the house burning down, i'm sorry i left my curling iron on - the library's internet is so fast!)
mom: how did you make that orange ruffy again? it was so very delicious.
love you all
can't wait to see you in three weeks
say hello to everyone for me
i'm praying for you all

Sarah said...

Oh my goodness did you have an adventure ride up to camp or what!!?? If I hadn't seen the picture I might have thought you were pulling our legs! :) SO glad you all have had an amazing week....we can not wait to hear more stories!

Z-Sweeney family reunion has been great! We all miss you though...
And don't worry about Papa Murphs...I took care of it. I factored in your general exhaustion and jet lag too when putting in your schedule. :)

We are counting the days till the 31st....5 more wakeups! Love ya!

Blessings to you all...
Sarah- Z's mom

Don said...

Matt, the Cubs are in first place on Sunday, August 27th. Can we hold on until the end of the session?

Great message at church today by Tim Mackie.

Anonymous said...

Hi Maren,
We miss your pretty, smiling face around here. A few updates to pass along...
David made the final table at the World Series of Poker Main Event. Guaranteed a million bucks - should come in handy for fall school expenses. Molly won the Miss Tan Universe pageant - got a years supply of Ocean Potion Xtreme Spray Gel with bronzer (SPF -10). Megan auditioned and got the part of the nanny on the ABC series by the same name -she needs to work on her British accent before plans are finalized. Derek was drafted in the first round of the Major League Baseball draft by the Milw. Brewers - he's elected to stay in school - he felt it was important to finish middle school. Mom was hired by the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association to take the place of any ailing Billy Graham - she's concerned it may impact her grocery line ministry. Maddi, the lovable pooch, won "Best in Show" at the Westminster Dog Show. She immediately got an offer to be the new spokesdog for Taco Bell. She's concerned it may take away valuable time chewing up Molly and Megan's new flip-flops. Me, well, I caught a state record largemouth bass at the Verona quarry using a bamboo pole and 4 pound test. Oh yah, I had a hole-in-one on a 420 yard par 4, too. Just a boring, ho-hum 11 days, 6 hours, 27 minutes since you've been gone. I'm sure you've had more excitement and better (more truthful) stories. Can't wait to hear.... Love you more than you'll ever know.
Dad

Anonymous said...

Dear Zach Stevens,

I have an incredible story to tell you about PATRICK VINCENT. He came to Madison Missions knowing no one. NOW, Pat knows our Lord Jesus Christ in a fresh and intimate way. He is definitely been born-again! In fact, lots either came to Christ or recommitted. Brett and Nikki did a tremendous job as the other leaders. Please let Lief know this!!!

I miss MAREN and everyone else too!

In His love, Anita/Mom

Anonymous said...

Makenzie Alexis Koeshall,

its me here, your best friend. feels like forever since Ive seen you. I need you more than ever rigt now, on the other hand reading all the stories and looking at all the pictures makes me ecstatic that the trip is going amazing, i knew it would. Only 5 more days until i get to see you :D i cant wait for church with you when you get back! I hope that God is working miracles for you guys over there, ive been praying for you and my second family non-stop since the day you left. Please keep me in your prayers over there. I love you so much! cant wait to see you :) love, fog.

Kenzie's mom said...

Hey Kenzie, it was great to see new blogs. Hunter is now home. Can you believe how fast the time is going ... enjoy every minute of it. Can't wait to see you on Friday!! We love and miss you. Mom and Hunter

Who's FOG??

Lindsay Siekert said...

Hey Brooke!

It's Sunday night and we just got back from camping at Shipwreck! We had a lot of fun but of course missed you there :( It was the cancer benefit up there so we all had to help with the auction and selling tickets! Glad to hear you are still alive lol u dork! Wow! You sang in front of everyone? That is awesome I can't wait to see you!

We all love you sooooooooo Much!

Love,
Linz, Steve, Laura and Scottie, the boys, and panda!

xoxoxoxoxo

Laura Anne Traastad said...

can't tell you how much i love that many of your drove up a mountain in a dump truck. SO AWESOME!

larry and pat- if there were parties, i'm mad i wasn't invited.

Jill T said...

Hello Matt
Great hearing from you;) No worries I will feed you all your favorites when you arrive home. Sounds like you are all having quite an adventure. I know you are touching so many lives as they are touching yours. Can't wait to hear the details. Love you..Mom

Jo said...

Hi Malachi! By this time you are on your way to Budapest for debrief & relaxation. Have a great week, enjoy the sites & down time! Love you & Miss you!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Dani
Pig brains Y E SS now I know you will read the menu alittle closer from now on..
I am actually a bit envious but congrats anyway
Love always
Grandpa

craigins said...

Zack, Leif, someone get Zack to answer this one ASAP!!! Where is the Army Man? Z - you are the one with the knowledge obiwan.. where is the little green man???? Hope that getting off the mountain was easier than getting up! We love you all!!
Zack's Dad

anonynonie-n-chubby said...

Anne, Chubbes and I want to know if you're up for a road trip when you get back...

Bruce said...

Been following the blog & keeping your team in prayer. Great to hear things are well at the camp after a few days of being offline. The dump truck pic just ought to have a theme song to go along with it ;)

Can't wait to hear more details once everyone is back and debrief. Great to hear about changed lives ... both those there and those returning to the states.

Bruce

mama muss said...

Great to hear all the updates, Nate I know your talk on John 14 was amazing! Can't wait to hear the details. Honey is still looking for you. We miss you, see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke!!

Okay, this is getting a bit too long for me!! :) The kittens need you to come home so they get some discipline!! :) They are about double in size now....I have loved Riley back to health.

Honey, I am happy to hear that you used your talent for others to hear!! I love it when you are playing your guitar and singing in the living room and think that I'm not listening. Tee hee!!

I am so excited to hear about all of the adventures that you all have had. The dump truck story AND PIC were too much!! I just know that you all have some amazing stories to tell. Can't wait until Aug 4th at church.

I haven't forgotten about you guys. Remember you every day in my prayers.

I hope you get a little rest and some great sightseeing this week.

Hugs and kisses to my "Tiblet." Oooops, sorry Brooke. :)

Love,
Your Mom

Mom Smiley (Kelly) said...

Hi Megan

Catie and I just got back from Chicago. We had a great time, but really missed having you with us. I just got caught up on reading the blog. I see you are all having an amazing adventure and I am looking forward to hearing more when you return. Can't wait for you to be back home. I love you, Mom

Jo said...

Happy Birthday Lief!! Quite a team to party with!! :o) Best wishes, have a great day!! Love & Prayers! Jo Braughler

Anonymous said...

Zack:
We were definitely missed this past week at the Sweeney family reunion but know you're having a great time in Romania. Can't wait to see you next weekend and hear all about your experiences! Love, Nana

Anonymous said...

Zack:
Should have read: YOU were missed!

kell said...

Dani do

Talked with Scott today and he said if you want a job, let me know and you can work there..everyone is going back to school or leaving so if you want in, you should say so soon or miss out. I asked if it was a problem working with your brosef, but he said since yall get along so well, and have the same friends, he sees no problem with it..cool hugh..do you still want to work mustard day? Fun fun. Miss ya tons. Love, mom

Malachi's Dad said...

Well we all still have internet service, so we can still leave messages :)
Today I will leave a simple HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIEF. We are glad you are leading our team to Romania.
You ROCK !!!!!!

mama muss said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY NATE!!! We love you! See you soon. mom, dad and guys

drew muss said...

Nate, Hey dude, I'm packing up for Florida, do you want the mt. bike in the garage? Happy Birthday.Drew

Sarah said...

Happy birthday Lief!!! I hope your day is full of rest and laughter!
Zack...I miss your face!! Come home! ;-)
We are having fun at the Dells butwe are missing you a ton! Tomorrow we go to "my ark" says Noah! I made you a killer tie-dye shirt!

I hope you enjoy your "debriefing" days!! Can't wait to hear the stories and God moments you have to tell us!!

LOVE you!
Sarah- Z's mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Charlie!

Thanks for sending the shout-out to us! Sorry about the food issue...thought that might be a challenge. Toni had her teeth taken out and she made it through the surgery just fine. We're getting her fitted for doggie dentures. ;) Your "new" room is looking pretty good. Please be sure to have someone take your photo on the "Charles Bridge" in Prague. See you in THREE days!

Love, Mom

Wulff Den said...

Malachi & Team,
We continue to pray for you all - safety, good health & now - fun & enjoyment as you see new sights & debrief.
We'll want to see pics & hear stories.
T&K

Leigh said...

Natalie
You are unbelievable!!! Dad thinks we can make the trip work--no changing your mind, you'll have to figure things out w/ work though.

good to talk w you.
Mom